Home | Laws | Print Page | Contact Us | Report Abuse | Sign In | Register
Industry Professional Resources - California

Frequently Asked Questions


1. What is the difference between medical and non-medical social model treatment programs?

Both medical and non-medical social model programs offer services designed to promote detoxification, treatment and maintenance of recovery from alcohol or drug problems. View More

2. What is the difference between medical and non-medical detoxification programs?

Medical detoxification is typically appropriate where clients manifest a more severe level of chemical dependency, withdrawal symptoms that are incapacitating, or other serious health issues requiring inpatient medical care. View More

3. Which addiction treatment facilities are required to be licensed?

Any facility which proposes to offer 24-hour non-medical residential alcohol or drug abuse-related recovery services to adults must be licensed by the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) through its Substance Use Disorders Licensing and Certification Division. View More

4. What kinds of treatment options are available for clients with addiction problems?

A client with severe withdrawal signs and symptoms may need a medically-monitored inpatient detoxification program, with services delivered in an acute care hospital or chemical dependency recovery hospital by doctors with 24/7 monitoring by nurses. View More

5. What does it mean to be ‘licensed’, ‘certified’ or ‘accredited’ in this industry?

Licensing means that a particular type of facility or professional may only operate or a certain set of services may only be delivered with the advance and continuous authorization (“license”) of a designated government agency, to ensure protection of public health, safety, and welfare. Healthcare and residential facilities and healthcare professionals are typically licensed at the state level. It is illegal for an unlicensed facility or professional to provide a service requiring a license. View More

Non-Medical Rehabilitation Facilities (Inpatient and Outpatient) Services

6. What kinds of services can we offer within our program?

Drug and alcohol rehabilitation services are those which are designed to promote recovery from substance use disorder problems and include one or more of the following: detoxification, group sessions, individual sessions, educational sessions, and recovery or treatment planning. View More

7. What services are prohibited?

Historically, facilities are not permitted to provide medical care or contract with physicians directly to provide medical services, although they can contract with a physician in an administrative role to provide non-clinical directorship services, such as oversight or input into program development. View More

Contact Us

11835 W. Olympic Blvd.
Suite 900
Los Angeles, CA 90064


Terms, Conditions & Refunds

About AATA

The American Addiction Treatment Association (AATA) delivers reliable information and resources on compliance and best practices to enable recovery industry professionals, owners, and operators to navigate the evolving clinical and regulatory landscapes.

Connect With Us

Disclaimer of Liability: ATAA presents the information on this web site as a service to our members & other Internet users. While the information on this site is about legal issues, it is not legal advice. Due to the rapidly changing nature of the law & our reliance on information provided by outside sources, we make no warranty or guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the content at this site or any sites to which we link.