Home | Laws | Print Page | Contact Us | Report Abuse | Sign In | Register
Industry Professional Resources - Washington

Frequently Asked Questions


1.  What kinds of licensure or certification is required to operate a chemical dependency treatment program?

Persons, partnerships and corporations, or other legal entities intending to provide chemical dependency treatment services in a residential setting require a license to operate. Residential treatment facilities are physical locations from which chemical dependency treatment services are provided 24 hours a day. Read More

2.  What types of chemical dependency services are offered in Washington?

Treatment services are offered through residential and outpatient treatment facilities which provide evaluation and treatment or evaluation and referral of any individual with a chemical dependency disorder. All of the following types of service providers require certification from the Department of Social and Health Services. Read More

3.  What does it mean to be 'licensed,' 'certified' or 'accredited' in this industry?

Licensing means that the facility has been granted a written notice conveying to the public that the state regulatory agency has issued its permission to operate authorized services. These services can only be delivered with the advance and continuous authorization of a designated government agency to ensure protection of public health, safety, and welfare. Read More


4.  Which body authorizes and oversees chemical dependency treatment facilities in the State of Washington?

Licensing for residential treatment facilities is overseen by the Washington...  Read More

5.  What responsibilities does a Residential Treatment Facility have?

The residential treatment facility (RTF) must ensure it is in compliance with all relevant state and federal rules and regulations. In particular, it should maintain and post a current RTF license and the name, address and telephone number of the Department of Health (DoH), appropriate client advocacy groups, and description of ombudsman services in a conspicuous place on the premises. The RTF should take... Read More

6.  How does a Residential Treatment Facility obtain a license?

A completed application for a Residential Treatment Facility licensure must be submitted to the Department of... Read More

7.  How Does a Residential Treatment Facility Renew its License?

The Department of Health (DoH) mails the "Notice to Renew" about 45 days before the due date (30 days before license expiration). At least thirty days before the expiration date of the current license, the facility must submit to DoH: Read More

Contact Us

11835 W. Olympic Blvd.
Suite 900
Los Angeles, CA 90064


Terms, Conditions & Refunds

About AATA

The American Addiction Treatment Association (AATA) delivers reliable information and resources on compliance and best practices to enable recovery industry professionals, owners, and operators to navigate the evolving clinical and regulatory landscapes.

Connect With Us

Disclaimer of Liability: ATAA presents the information on this web site as a service to our members & other Internet users. While the information on this site is about legal issues, it is not legal advice. Due to the rapidly changing nature of the law & our reliance on information provided by outside sources, we make no warranty or guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the content at this site or any sites to which we link.